- Elon Musk’s brother Kimbal is using his non-profit group The Kitchen Community to bring real food to schools across the U.S. Musk said his aim was to bring real change across schools to impact kids early in life. Story at Ecowatch
- App to allow people to manage a virtual farm. This will allow them to win points towards purchasing vegetables, fruit, farm tools and virtual products. Read at Progressive Grocer.
- Cork producers support the “real food revolution”. Farmers moving away from faddish “health foods” to more substantial crops. Evening Echo.
- Fears of food security issues in the UK as Brexit looms. Farming bodies say the sector should not be ignored in the rush to import cheaper food. Farming UK.
- Monsanto found to be behind attacks on organic food. A spokesperson who wrote recent article disparaging organics in Newsweek found to be a chemical giant mouthpiece. See Organic Consumers for the story.
Welcome to Season 3, episode 3, where your co-hosts Rich Bowden and Jon Moore discuss a few hot wholefoods trends for 2018, including the rise of gut health, how grass-fed meat is — thanks to millennials — become more popular than ever, and the rise of organic food now that it has hit the mainstream market in a big way. Rich and Jon also take a fascinating detour into regenerative agriculture, the boom in interest in repairing the land and how this is affecting the wholefoods meat market.
See below for key moments and quotes. Please enjoy the program! Continue reading “Season 3 Episode 3 Wholefoods in the marketplace — Wholefoods trends for 2018”
Welcome to Season 3, episode 2, the second in our series on Wholefoods in the marketplace and our first for 2018. This week, co-host, writer, podcaster and organic farmer Jon Moore reads his article “In Defence of A Modern Yeomanry – Small mixed farms as the answer”. Before we get to the reading through, Jon was kind enough to answer a few questions on the subject.
Key moments and defining quotes have been included below.
Welcome to Season 3, episode 1, the first in our series on Wholefoods in the marketplace. This week, as an introduction to the new season, The Real Food Chain’s Rich Bowden reads from an article written for The Real Food Chain’s website. Key moments and defining quotes have been included below.
Enjoy the show! Have a happy, safe and relaxing Christmas and New Year! Continue reading “Season 3 Episode 1 Wholefoods in the marketplace — How to save on organic food and support the local community”
What on earth is kefir? This was my initial reaction when my research first took me to the topic of fermented milk-based drinks. I had heard about yoghurt of course, and had a vague idea of what lassi was (combination yoghurt or buttermilk and water drink) but had no idea of kefir.
I needed to find out quickly for I had a deadline to write on this topic. So I put aside a weekend to research the topic. What I discovered about milk kefir over the two days both astonished and inspired me. Continue reading “Kefir: The hardest working grains in the business”